I saw this post on Seth’s site.
The background is that he saw a great movie and was curious why he wanted to share this everyone.
I think I can nail the reason why in one! But first some background:
According to Tony Robbins and others, there are 6 Basic Human Needs.
- Certainty/Comfort. We all want comfort. And much of this comfort comes from certainty. We want certainty the car will start, the toilet will work, and the currency we use will hold its value.
- Variety. At the same time we want certainty, we also seek variety. The cliché teenager “I’m BORED!!!”
- Significance. Deep down, we all want to be important. You know the person who keeps asking “does this look nice” “do you still like me” “tell me how good I am”
- Connection/Love. It would be hard to argue against the need for love. We want to feel part of a community. We want to be cared for and cared about.
The last two are much bigger picture. For the purposes of this post I’ll just summarise them as:
- Growth. (if you don’t grow you die.)
- Contribution. (The desire to give back)
Seth, so when you say:
Why was it so important to me to tell other people? It’s not a movie that will make the world a better place. It won’t increase my reputation or give me a sense of power to be able to tell people about it. So why?
I don’t know. It’s just a really good movie
Yes you do! If you really thought about it, you would know why you want to tell others!
It could be either two things #3 Significance or #4 Love & Connection. If you’ve been reading Seth’s blog, you’d know he really is a good bloke. He doesn’t come across to me as the loud, attention seeking guy.
So my money is on #4 – He wants to share something with you. He doesn’t really care if you like it or not. But I bet if you went back to him and said “hell yeah, that was fracking brilliant!” He’d feel on top of the world!